The spay/neuter rebate program funds
are now depleted.
Additional funds may be available after October 1. Please check back.
On Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013, the Lake County Board of County Commissioners approved funding for a new rebate program to help residents with the costs of spaying or neutering their pets in Lake County.
The program allows residents to bring their pet to their licensed veterinary practitioner to receive the procedure, then complete an application that provides up to a $50 rebate to the pet owner. Applications can be submitted online along with supporting documentation. For more information about the program, contact Lake County Animal Services at 352-343-9688.
As of October 2014, Animal Services is part of the Lake County Sheriff's Office. The rebate program is still active and accepting applications.
- In order to be eligible for rebates, the applicant must be a full-time resident of Lake County.
- Rebates will only be considered for procedures done after the funding was approved by the Board of County Commissioners on Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013.
- The Lake County Spay/Neuter Rebate Program is a funding-limited program that issues rebates on a first-come, first-served basis. Rebates will be issued to eligible applicants while funding lasts.
- Incomplete applications or lack of required documentation will result in denial of rebate.
- Rebate application forms must be post-marked or delivered within 60 calendar days of having the procedure performed.
- Rebates will be issued by check only. Allow 30 calendar days for processing.
- Rebates will only be issued for spay/neuter procedures performed on cats/kittens or dogs/puppies.
- All rebate-eligible spay/neuter procedures are required to be performed by a licensed veterinary practitioner.
- Rebates will be issued up to $50 per animal. The final payment amount will be reduced if the procedure amount stated on the invoice is less than $50.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the start date of the program?
The funding for the program was approved by the Lake County Board of County Commissioners on Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013. Rebates will be issued for any procedure completed on or after Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2013
- Do I have to be a resident of Lake County to get a rebate?
- What types of animals are eligible for the rebate?
Dogs, puppies, cats and kittens.
- What is the maximum number of dogs/cats that I can get a rebate for?
There is no maximum number of animals that qualify for a rebate, as long as funding is available for the program. Multiple forms can be submitted if necessary.
- Do I have to use a Lake County Licensed Veterinary Practitioner to perform the spay/neuter on my pet?
You do not need to use a veterinarian that is in Lake County, but the veterinarian that performs the procedure must be a licensed veterinary practitioner.
- How much money is being used for this program?
The Lake County Board of County Commissioners is issuing a maximum rebate for up to $50 per pet while funding is available. The county dedicated $50,000 to fund the rebate program.
- Where is the funding coming from for the program?
Funding for the program is provided by donations and past fines collected. No property taxes are being used for this program.
- What if I don’t have a copy of my veterinarian bill that shows the spay/neuter was performed?
A copy of the invoice, or a letter on your veterinarian’s letterhead that states that the procedure was performed, the date the procedure was performed, the animal’s name and the cost of the procedure must be submitted to be eligible for the rebate.
- After the spay/neuter procedure is completed, how long do I have to submit my rebate application?
You have 60 days from the date of surgery to submit the application.
- What proof of residency can be used to verify I am a Lake County resident?
A copy of a driver’s license, or a utility bill showing the submitter’s name and physical address.
- How can I submit my application?
Rebate applications and documentation can be submitted electronically by email to PetRebate@lcso.org, uploaded online at www.lakecountyfl.gov/rebate, mailed by U.S. mail to: Lake County Spay/Neuter Rebate Program, P.O. Box 7800, Tavares, FL 32778-7800, or hand-delivered during normal business hours to Lake County Animal Control at 28123 County Road 561, Tavares.
- Is a county pet license required for my animal in order to get my rebate check?
A county pet license is not required at the time you apply for your rebate, but a county pet license is required for all pets in Lake County. For more information about registering your pet for a county license, visit our Pet License page.
- How long will it take to get my rebate check?
Allow 30 days for processing from the time it is received.