Planning & Community Design Division has a staff of 14 full-time employees, including three certified professional planners. The Planning & Community Design Division includes the County’s zoning functions. Division staff in all function continues to pursue the highest level of customer service.
The Division’s mission is to provide a better quality of life for all Lake County citizens by facilitating development of a well designed, efficient, healthy, and safely built environment. This enhances community identity, allows development to co-exist with the natural environment, and promotes sustainability.
The Planning & Community Design Division is responsible for the review of all residential, commercial, industrial, public facility and residential site development within unincorporated Lake County. The Division ensures compliance and consistency with the Lake County Land Development Regulations and Comprehensive Plan.
The other major function of the Division is the review of application requests to change or alter zoning or future land use categories for specific properties for compliance and consistency with the Comprehensive Plan. Recommendations on the applications are made to the Planning & Zoning Board/Local Planning Agency and the Board of County Commissioners for their consideration.
Planning & Community Design is also responsible for maintaining the internal consistency of the Land Development Regulations and consistency of those regulations with the goals, objectives and policies of the Comprehensive Plan.
Planning & Community Design provides services for:
- Review of Commercial/Industrial Site Plans, including expedited review of Economic Development Projects.
- Review of new residential development
- Review of Lot Splits and Lot Line Deviations
- Review of Zoning Clearances
- Review of additions, expansions, change of use, and accessory structures and uses
- Review of subdivisions of property, plats and other types of site development projects through the development review process.
- Review and recommendation of Rezoning and Conditional Use Permit Applications
- Administration of Conditional Use Permits and Mining Operating Permits
- Review of amendments to, and maintenance of, the Comprehensive Plan