Lake County’s resident professional orchestra prepares for its 10th season
Known for its musical surprises and beautiful music, The Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra will celebrate its 10th season this November. Audiences throughout Lake County have come to value this emerging group as ranking with the great orchestras in quality of performance and repertoire.
New this season is celebrity conductor Eimear Noone from Ireland, by way of Malibu, California, who will be principal conductor and lead the symphony with her own brand of charisma. Noone has conducted the Houston Symphony, The Royal Philharmonic, the Toronto Symphony, Miami, the National Symphony at Wolftrap, a television special at the Hollywood Bowl with actor Pierce Brosnan and actress/film producer Roma Downey. Noone is also well known for her world tour, conducting the “Legend of Zelda,” She also was one of the composers for the newly released video game “World of Warcraft.” Noone speaks to the young through this media and brings them closer to the classical music world.
This elegant, not-for-profit orchestra is based in Lake County and features 60 professional musicians from all over the world. Audrey Sanders is the executive director and co-founder, and carries on the passion and work of her late husband, composer and pianist Guy Saint-Clair, maintaining the orchestra’s solidly established reputation for excellence.
The 2014-2015 Season by the Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra includes the following concerts at 7:30 p.m. at the St. Patrick Catholic Church of Mount Dora, located at 6803 Old Highway 441, and in Clermont at the Family Christian Center, located at 2500 S. U.S. Highway 27 (across the street from Olive Garden), unless otherwise noted below:
- Encore— The Gala Debut begins the Season with the jovial Mozart “Marriage of Figaro Overture”, Mascagni “Intermezzo”, Dvorak “New World Symphony,” and the young (11- and 12-year-old) violin prodigy winners of the Guy Saint-Clair Young Artist Concerto Competition playing Mendelssohn “Violin Concerto”.
- Nov. 13 in Mount Dora
- Nov. 14 in Clermont
- Christmas—Beginning with the traditional Tschaikowsky "Nutcracker Suite," the concert continues with angelic voices and unexpected musical surprises.
- Dec. 4 in Clermont at the Lake Pavilion on 3rd Street, this concert begins at 7 p.m. with the Clermont “Light-Up” with hot chocolate and cookies and is free to the public
- Dec. 5 in Mount Dora with the participation of the Mount Dora School of Ballet (normally priced concert.)
- Elegance of Vienna — Viennese Charm with a dash of Glenn Miller. Join us for a glamorous evening, and an elegant celebration of the New Year.
- Jan. 15 in Mount Dora
- Jan. 16 in Clermont at the new “Clermont Arts & Recreation Center” on the hill. Dinner before the concert will include an Operetta Caberet Show and requires an additional ticket for $50. Begins at 5:30 p.m. Regular concert only begins at the usual time of 7:30 p.m.
- Music of the Heart—Bring your Valentine to a very Romantic Evening of String Serenade of Tschaikowsky to speak to her heart and the sexy Argentine Tango music of Piazzola to warm the evening.
- Feb. 12 in Mount Dora
- Feb. 13 in Clermont
- Romantic Love— Spring is in the air beginning with Guy Saint-Clair’s arrangement of Saint-Saens “Aquarium” from Carnival of the Animals. 20-year-old Estonian pianist Sten Heinoja will join us again with Rachmaninov’s stunning “Piano Concerto No. 2,” known as “Full Moon and Empty Arms.” The second part of the program will feature the love saga of the young prince and princess of a Thousand and One Nights: “Scheherazade.”
- March 19 in Mount Dora
- March 20 in Clermont
- Enchanted—Fairy Tale works are showcased in this spectacular Season 10 finale—“The Firebird Suite,” “Flight of the Bumblebee,” “Danse Bacchanale,” “Suk Scherzo Fantastique,” “Ruslan & Ludmilla Overture” and others complete this magnificent season.
- April 23 in Mount Dora
- April 24 in Clermont
For more information about the Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra or to order tickets, call 352-589-1500 or write Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra, 1026 Nantucket Sound, Mount Dora, FL 32757. 5-concert Season Subscription: $180; Season Subscription + Christmas Concert; $222. Individual Concert tickets are $15 student/parent/teacher, $30 group of 10 or more, $42 in advance and $45 at the door. Visit www.FloridaLakesSymphonyOrchestra.com for additional details.