Lake County’s resident professional orchestra readies for its eighth season
The Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra will celebrate its eighth season beginning this Oct.. Audiences throughout Lake County have come to value this emerging group as ranking with the great orchestras in quality of performance and repertoire. This elegant orchestra is known for musical surprises and beautiful music.
Based in Lake County, the not-for-profit orchestra features 60 professional musicians from all over the world. Audrey Sanders is the executive director and co-founder of the orchestra, and carries on the passion and work of her late husband, composer and pianist Guy Saint-Clair. Under the baton of the symphony's charismatic and award-winning conductor, Michael J. Garasi, the orchestra has solidly established a reputation for excellence.
The eighth season by the Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra includes the following concerts at 7:30 p.m. at the St. Patrick Catholic Church of Mount Dora, located at 6803 Old Highway 441, and at its new location in Clermont: the Family Christian Center, located at 2500 South Highway 27 (across the street from Olive Garden).
- Spanish Nights— The Gala Debut begins the Season with the fiery "Carmen Suite"," España Cani", "Aranjuez Concierto", "La Vida Breve", "España", "Capriccio Espagnol"
- Oct. 25 in Mount Dora
- Oct. 26 in Clermont
- Christmas Eve Suites— To welcome St. Nicolas, these are endearing remembrances and masterpieces :with beautiful carols, the "Festival of Hannukkah"(to honor Christianity's Jewish Heritage), the "Nutcracker Suite" with the participation of the Mount Dora School of Ballet, the angelic voice of Tara Rowell in "O Holy Night" and much more.
- December 6 in Mount Dora only
- Some Enchanted Evening — is a Salute to Vienna with "Die Fledermaus Overture", Bach's "Double Violin Concerto" featuring ConcertMaster Konstantin Dimitrov and Lev Gurevich, Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik", "Liebesleid" from Fritz Kreisler, the "Merry Widow Waltz", the "Blue Danube", etc. will be an elegant celebration of the New Year.
- Jan. 10 in Mount Dora
- Jan. 11 in Clermont
- Cruising from New York to Rio— A Valentine;s Musical Cruise: From Bernstein's romantic "Symphonic dances from West Side Story" to the Latin rythmns of "Malambo", "Brazil" and Nicolas Real's "Latin Flute Concerto", the temperature heats up with Rachelle Fleming's dusky voice singing in Portuguese: "Quiet Nights" and "Begin the Beguine".
- Feb. 14 in Mount Dora
- Feb. 15 in Clermont
- Bella Italia— Rome in the Spring! "Pines of Rome", "Nessun Dorma" (Tara Rowell, soloist), "Dance of the Hours", "Intermezzo" from "Cavalleria Rusticana", "La Forza del Destino", "La Gazza Ladra" (the Thieving Magpie). An exciting addition to this concert will be the "side by side" performance of the Central Florida Youth Orchestra in one selection. Come help us welcome these young musicians to our Symphony family.
- Mar. 21 in Mount Dora
- Mar. 22 in Clermont
- Tribute to Guy Saint-Clair— Slavic Fireworks written with Guy's special touch will enchant you in these powerful masterpieces. "Slavic Dances" & "Slavic Concerto" will make this an evening to remember. Besides Guy's own work, the winning performance of the newly established "Guy Saint-Clair Young Artist Concerto Competition" will be showcased in this concert.
- April 25 in Mount Dora
- April 26 in Clermont
For more information about the Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra or to order tickets, call (352) 589-1500 or write Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra, 2034 Bayside Ave., Mount Dora, FL 32757. 5-concert Season Subscription: $180; Season Subscription + Christmas Concert; $222. Individual Concert tickets are $42 in advance, $45 at the door. www.FloridaLakesSymphonyOrchestra.com