TAVARES — Since its introduction in Lake County on July 3, 2006, a free prescription-drug discount card program, sponsored by the National Association of Counties (NACo) and Caremark RX Inc., has saved local residents more than $1.7 million.
The discount-card program offers average savings of up to 20 percent off the retail price of commonly prescribed drugs. While a discount card cannot be used in conjunction with insurance, it can be used on prescription drugs not covered by insurance. All Lake County residents, regardless of age, income or existing health coverage, may use the cards. The cards are accepted at many of the pharmacies in Lake County. A national network of more than 57,000 participating retail pharmacies also will honor the Caremark Prescription Discount Card.
Lake County has distributed the discount cards to area libraries, County government facilities and local pharmacies. In addition, new Spanish discount cards are available by calling the Lake County Community Health Workers Program at (352) 742-6544.
According to the Lake County Library Services Division, the stock of discount cards was recently replenished at local libraries, including:
• Astor County Library, located at 54905 Alco Road, Astor
• Cagan Crossings Community Library, located at 16729 Cagan Oaks, Clermont
• Cooper Memorial Library, located at 821 W. Minneola Ave., Clermont
• East Lake County Library, located at 31340 County Road 437, Sorrento
• Eustis Memorial Library, 120 N. Center St.
• Fruitland Park Library, located at 205 W. Berckman St., Fruitland Park
• Helen Lehmann Memorial Library, located at 17435 Fifth St., Montverde
• Lady Lake Public Library, located at 225 W, Guava St.
• Leesburg Public Library, 100 E. Main St.
• Marianne Beck Memorial Library, located at 112 W. Central Avenue, Howey-in-the-Hills
• Marion Baysinger Memorial County Library, located at 756 W. Broad St., Groveland
• Paisley County Library, located at 24954 County Road 42, Paisley
• Tavares Public Library, located at 314 N. New Hampshire Ave., Tavares
• Umatilla Public Library, located at 412 Hatfield Drive, Umatilla
• W. T. Bland Public Library, located at 1995 N. Donnelly St., Mount Dora
"As one of the first counties to participate in the NACo Prescription Drug Discount Card Program, Lake County residents have realized the benefits of this worthy program," said Lake County Commissioner Welton Cadwell. "The discount card offers significant savings for the uninsured and underinsured residents of our County, and even those fortunate to have prescription coverage can use the card to save money on drugs that are not covered by their health plan.”
For more information, call toll free 1-877-321-2652 or log on to https://naco.advancerx.com.