Lake County’s State Housing Initiative Program (SHIP) funding will be awarded to renters that are in danger of becoming homeless as a result of the inability to pay rent or make security and/or utility deposits. Three programs are available: 1) Security and/or Utility Deposit Assistance; 2) Eviction Prevention not to exceed 6 months’ of past due rent and 3) Homeless Prevention - a 12- month rent subsidy program for very-low income households with at least one adult who is a person of special needs as defined by 420.0004 or homeless as defined by 420.621.
- Applicant must reside within the Lake County limits.
- Applicant(s) must meet gross annual income not exceeding 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) limits established by HUD for the jurisdiction of Kissimmee-Orlando-Sanford MSA. The applicable low-income limits for determining program eligibility are published by HUD in the federal register and are undated annually. The occupant household’s gross annual income (for the purpose of determining program eligibility) shall be calculated according to the HUD regulations identified in the Code of Federal regulation oat 24 CFR, Part 5.
The maximum rental assistance to be paid by Lake County is based on the 2020 Income Limits and Rent Limits published by the Florida Housing Finance Corporation on 4/1/2020 and shall not exceed the following amounts:
Deposit Assistance - $2,000
Rent Subsidy – not to exceed $1,500 per month for up to 12 months
Eviction Prevention – not to exceed $1,500 per month for up to 6 months
- Applicant(s) must be able to pay the difference owed if the contract rent exceeds the SHIP rental limits (not to exceed 80% AMI)*
- All applicants must complete an application and submit documentation of income and program eligibility. Households will be assisted on a first-qualified, first-served basis, with a priority ranking for: 1) households with special needs as defined in Section 420.0004, Florida Statutes; and 2) households that are homeless as defined in Section 420.621, Florida Statutes. Funding of qualified applicants is limited to and contingent upon availability of funds received from the SHIP Program.
SHIP Income Guidelines & Rent Limits for Lake County (Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford MSA)
Income Limits effective 4/1/2020 and subject to change
Maximum Income Limit-Adjusted for Household Size
Rent Limit by Number of Bedroom Units*
Eligible properties must be located within Lake County. The following types of housing units are not eligible for this program:
- Rooming/Halfway Houses
- Units deemed uninhabitable by Code Enforcement
- Units not in compliance with State and local ordinances
- Properties owned by an immediate family member of applicant (parents, step-parents, children, siblings or grand-parents)
- Properties where applicant is listed as an owner
Availability of Funds
Applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis from all applicant(s) meeting program eligibility criteria, subject to funding availability. First priority will be given to 1) households with special needs as defined in Section 420.0004, Florida Statutes; and 2) households that are homeless as defined in Section 420.621, Florida Statutes. These applicants will further be ranked with priority given to very-low income, the low, then moderate. The second priority will be to serve Essential Services Personnel (ESP). These applicants will further be ranked with priority given to very-low income, then low, then moderate. After serving enough Special Needs households to meet set-asides and any qualified ESP for the funding year, all applicants deemed eligible will be considered equally with priority given to very-low, then low, then moderate-income groups.
How to Apply
Applications are available in the Self Service Station at the Lake County Office of Housing and Human Services at 2008 Classique Lane, Tavares, FL 32778 or by emailing email@example.com. A link to complete and send a downloadable applications will be available soon on this website.
Applications that are returned will ALL Required documents will be placed on a waiting list and will be processed on a first-come, first serve basis, subject to funding availability.
For additional information or if you have a question contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 352-742-6530 OR 352-742-6540.