These safety guidelines are provided for groups participating in the Adopt-a-Lake Program. Compliance with these safety guidelines is the responsibility of the group’s representative.
- Use common sense.
- No horseplay of any type will be tolerated.
- Children are to be supervised.
- No alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs will be tolerated during activities.
- Avoid picking up any materials that may present a danger. This includes medical waste and any potentially hazardous materials.
- Activities shall occur only during daylight hours.
- Activities are not to be performed during bad weather, especially if lightning is in the area.
- Use caution when reaching under something to remove litter or when putting hands into the water.
- Make sure to bring an adequate supply of drinking water.
- Participating persons should use gloves and appropriate clothing, including enclosed shoes.
- Recommendations include sunglasses, hat, insect repellent and sun block. (Do not wear sunglasses if performing water-quality monitoring tests.)
- Avoid suspected hazardous materials, poison ivy/oak, and noxious weeds, places where snakes, alligators or fire ants may be located. Immediately report any injury or hazardous material to group representative and to appropriate authorities.