- Conduct and attend safety meetings and pre-task briefings prior to cleanup.
- Ensure that all participants in the group wear safety vests at all times during the litter removal activity.
- Only allow persons to participate that the group deems responsible enough to safely participate in the cleanup.
- The group will provide a least one adult supervisor for every five participants ages 15 or younger.
- Do not bring people to observe the cleanup if they are under the age of 16 and are not official participants.
- While on site, do not consume alcoholic beverages or illegal substances before, during or after the cleanup activity.
On-site safety guidelines:
- Park all vehicles clear of roadway.
- Remove litter during daylight hours only.
- Remove litter during good weather conditions only.
- Wear light colored clothing and safety vest.
- Do not wear camouflage or plain clothing.
- Do not wear clothing that would hinder the sight of the participant.
- Wear heavy gloves.
- Wear leather shoes or boots.
- Avoid overexertion.
- Provide an adequate supply of drinking water.
- Do not remove hazardous substances.
- Be alert for snakes and other animals.
- Have mosquito repellent available.
- Avoid contact with noxious weeds (http://www.invasive.org/listview.cfm?list=18) and areas where herbicides were applied.
- Do not pick up litter on bridges, in tunnels, on overpasses or in medians.
- Stay clear of any construction zones.
- Do not stand on, or work in, the road or paved shoulder.
- Ensure that appropriate traffic control signs are visible to motorists.
In case of an emergency:
- Have a first aid kit.
- Have transportation available.