For immediate release - April 4, 2005
The Lake County Fair, 2101 County Road 452, Eustis, is scheduled from April 7-16. Gates open at 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For more information, call the fair office at (352) 357-7111 or e-mail email@example.com.
- The 4-H Youth Development Program is organizing a group of exhibits that will be featured exclusively at the fairground’s Clements Building. Along with a 4-H booth, the building will house 4-H student exhibits of horticulture, arts and crafts, woodworking, photography and posters. The 4-H program is also hosting livestock shows and educational skill-a-thons at the fair. Show times are:
- Thursday, April 7 — Breeding beef show 7 p.m.
- Saturday, April 9 — Shows of poultry 2:30 p.m., rabbit 5 p.m., goat 5:30 p.m. and sheep 7 p.m.
- Monday, April 11 — Steer show 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 12 — Poultry broiler pen and steer sale 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 13 — Dairy show 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 15 — Swine show 7 p.m.
- Saturday, April 16 — Rabbit meat pen and swine sale 6 p.m.
- The Department of Growth Management will be front and center at the Board of County Commissioners-sponsored fair booth. Planners will be explaining the comprehensive planning process as well as administering a survey for interested residents. Analysts from the Geographic Information Systems Division will also be explaining the County’s online mapping tools and printing out aerial photographs for residents.
- The Department of Environmental Services-sponsored booth will focus on water and waste. Among the topics to be highlighted at the booth are protecting water resources through innovative programs and keeping the environment clean with efficient reuse, recycling and recovery methods. A new program that will be unveiled at the fair is the Home Fuel Oil Recovery Program. It is designed to assist owners of older homes in Lake County that may still have either above or below ground fuel oil tanks in draining those tanks properly — a service that is offered at no cost to those homeowners.
- The Department of Public Safety will have a booth set up at the fair as well as the Fire Rescue Education Trailer parked outside. The trailer focuses on teaching children basic fire safety such as how to call 911, how to react when a smoke alarm goes off and the basic technique of stop, drop and roll. At the booth, information will be provided from the Office of Emergency Management about hurricane safety and preparedness.
- The Lake-Sumter Emergency Medical Services booth will display how different departments operate at the agency. A staff member will be present to demonstrate and answer questions about what type of equipment can be seen in an ambulance.
- The Sheriff’s Office is sponsoring adjoining booths with the Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) program and the Youth Explorer Program. At an outside tent, the Sheriff’s Office is featuring demonstrations and displays about traffic safety.
- The Soil and Water Conservation District will be providing information about its services at its sponsored fair booth as well as displaying recent poster contest winners with the theme “Celebrating Conservation.” The district will also promote its speaking contest about “Celebrating Florida Conservation” at the fair.
- The Supervisor of Elections Office will display demonstrations of the current voting system and how it operates. Residents can also register to vote at the Elections Office booth as well update previous voter-registration information.
Office: (352) 343-9609; Cell: (352) 455-0445