For immediate release - December 21, 2005
TAVARES — The Lake County Sheriff’s Office, the Lake County Board of County Commissioners and the Lake County Community Traffic Safety Team wants to wish all Lake County citizens a happy and safe holidays.
While promoting driver safety during this holiday season, the Sheriff’s Office is utilizing the six-deputy Traffic Unit, which was created in July, in an effort to save lives and reduce injuries related to unsafe motorists. Local motorists are encouraged to help in this campaign by following these safety tips:
- Drivers need to be mindful of posted speed limits for the well-being of all Lake County residents and visitors. Don’t be in a hurry for holiday events.
- Buckle up with a seat belt. If ticketed, there is a $70.50 fine in Lake County for each person not buckled up.
- Designate a driver before attending holiday parties. Florida recorded 15 alcohol-related traffic fatalities during last year’s holiday season. Law enforcement agencies from across Lake County will be mobilizing this holiday season to save lives. Remember when “You Drink and Drive. You Lose.”
- Be courteous and remain calm, even if provoked by other drivers' behavior.
- Do not allow distractions such as eating, drinking and passenger or telephone conversations to interfere with the primary task of driving.
- Maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front.
- When packing your vehicle, make sure everything is securely stowed. Never put parcels on the back window "shelf,” as they interfere with visibility and can become dangerous flying objects during an emergency stop.
Public Information Coordinator
Office: (352) 343-9609; Cell: (352) 455-0445