For immediate release - Feb. 3, 2005
TAVARES — Curious how Lake County will look 20 years from now? County residents are encouraged to attend a public meeting designed to inspire them to share their dreams, desires and concerns for the future of Lake County.
Through the series of six public meetings with different communities in Lake County between Feb. 7 and Feb. 17, facilitators of the comprehensive plan will be asking for the public’s input, including important quality of life issues.
Required by state law, a comprehensive plan is the foundation for local planning as it acts as an outline of the community's vision and priorities. Together, all the stakeholders — citizens, municipalities, county government and other local and regional entities — will play integral parts in shaping what Lake County will look like 20 years from now. Staff from the Lake County Comprehensive Planning Division will integrate the input received from all stakeholders to develop a draft of a new comprehensive plan this year.
Upon completion, the new plan titled “Planning Horizon 2025” will provide flexible guidelines for policymakers, land managers and land users about how to conserve, rehabilitate or develop an area. Planning Horizon 2025 will stipulate the ultimate goals of efficient transportation, adequate employment, affordable housing, needed capital improvements and access to clean air, water and open space for the next 20 years.
For more information, log on to www.lakecountyfl.gov/2025 or call (352) 343-9632. The six public meetings, each from 6:30 to 8 p.m., are as follows:
- Monday, Feb. 7 — Leesburg Elementary School, 2229 South St., Leesburg (For residents in the Leesburg area)
- Tuesday, Feb. 8 — Astatula Elementary School, 13925 Florida Ave., Astatula (For residents in the Howey-in-the-Hills, Astatula, Minneola and Montverde areas)
- Thursday, Feb. 10 — Spring Creek Elementary School, 4440 Spring Creek Road, Paisley (For residents in the Ocala National Forest and Wekiva River Protection areas)
- Friday, Feb. 11 — Lost Lake Elementary School, 1901 Johns Lake Road, Clermont (For residents in the Clermont, Four Corners, Mascotte, Green Swamp and Groveland areas)
- Tuesday, Feb. 15 — Eustis Heights Elementary School, 310 W. Taylor Ave., Eustis (For residents in the Umatilla, Tavares, Eustis, Mount Dora, Mt. Plymouth and Sorrento areas)
- Thursday, Feb. 17 — Fruitland Park Elementary School, 304 W. Fountain St., Fruitland Park (For residents in the Emeralda Marsh, Lady Lake and Fruitland Park areas)
Office: (352) 343-9609; Cell: (352) 455-0445