For immediate release - July 28, 2005
TAVARES — Summer is the season for yard-waste disposal. Yard waste ranks second in the numerous categories of waste generated. To ensure curbside pick up of yard waste, the Lake County Department of Environmental Services wants to remind residents in unincorporated Lake County of proper disposal requirements.
- Yard waste — Material must be bagged, bundled or in an easy to handle container and weigh no more than 50 pounds. Limbs and branches must be tied in bundles weighing no more than 50 pounds, be no longer than 4 feet in length with limbs no greater than 6 inches in diameter. Please make sure all waste is placed curbside by 6 a.m. and stays out until 8 p.m. the day of scheduled pick up. The items to be picked up include not only yard waste, but also household garbage and recyclables.
- Household garbage –- Materials weighing no more than 50 pounds each must be enclosed in a secure container and placed within 3 feet of the curb or edge of the road by 6 a.m. on your pick-up day. No construction or demolition debris, such as fencing, floor tiles, drywall, etc., is accepted.
- Recycling — Items currently collected curbside for recycling include newspaper and magazines, clear glass, aluminum and steel cans, plastic bottles with necks, any color, #1 - #7, and household batteries which should be placed in clear plastic bags before placing in the recycling bin.
- Bulk items — Large and heavy items such as refrigerators, furniture, televisions, monitors, window air conditioners, etc., will be picked up curbside. Residents must call their respective franchised hauler to schedule pick up. Small items such as cellular telephones, computer peripheral devices, calculators, microwaves, etc. should be taken to any residential drop-off facility or the Lake County Landfill.
Lake County residents may also take their household waste to any one of the County’s six drop-off locations. Additional recyclables accepted at the drop-offs include cardboard, office paper, e-waste (electronic waste) and household hazardous waste. The drop-off locations are:
- Astor — Astor Transfer Station Road
- Clermont (Loghouse) —10435 Loghouse Transfer Station Road
- Lady Lake —1200 Jackson St.
- Paisley — 44225 Spring Creek Road
- Pine Lakes — 43029 State Road 44, DeLand
- Lake County Landfill —13130 County Landfill Road
For more information about any of these drop-off locations, call (352) 343-3776. Residents living within city limits should contact their city with any questions concerning trash and recycling collection service.
For missed pick ups, complaints and questions regarding solid-waste collection and disposal, citizens of unincorporated Lake County can call Customer Service at (352) 343-3776.
Office: (352) 343-9609; Cell: (352) 455-0445