For immediate release - May 24, 2005
TAVARES — The Lake County 4-H Program is hosting a “Summer Sampler” program this year that will include two fun-filled weeks of hands-on, educational activities.
The summer vacation workshops are all held at the Lake County Extension Office located at 30205 State Road 19, Tavares. All classes are from 10 a.m. to noon, except the workshop on June 16. Workshop enrollment will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. To register for any of the activities, call Carla Mitchell at (352) 343-4101.
The activities are split into two different age groups, ages 5-7 and 8-18.
“Summer Sampler” workshops for ages 5-7
- Kids Kitchen, June 6 —Children attending this cooking course will leave the session knowing that cooking can be a fun and rewarding experience. Best of all, they will be able to eat the food they cook during the class.
- Stranger Danger, June 7 —Linda Haville from the Lake County Sheriff’s Office will teach children techniques and recognition skills for avoiding dangerous situations that could lead to abduction.
- Candle Making, June 8 —During this workshop, children will create beautiful candles to use as gifts or a fair display.
- Ice Cream in a Bag, June 9 —Children will make real ice cream using a Ziploc bag.
- Trash to Treasure, June 10 — Children will create works of art using recyclable material.
“Summer Sampler” workshops for ages 8-18
- Canning 101, June 13 —Youth attending this course will learn that canning can be a safe and an economical way to preserve favorite foods enjoyed by family and friends. Workshop products will also be entered into the 2006 Lake County Fair.
- Rubber Stamping, June 14 — Workshop attendees will create unique greeting cards, bookmarks and photograph albums, all of which could be great 4-H fundraisers.
- Cooking with Ms. Carla, June 15 — Youth attending this session will prepare a quick meal, including dessert, using all the food groups.
- Show me the Money, June 16, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Youth need to bring a sack lunch to this extra long session, which is an active hands-on, real-life simulation that gives youth the opportunity to explore career options and make lifestyle and budget options similar to those adults face on a daily basis.
- How to Design a Gift Bag, June 17 — Become a designer of gift bags with the help of Mrs. Rebekah Bodiford.
Carla Mitchell, 4-H Program Assistant