TAVARES — With many of its roadway projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 completed, the Lake County Department of Public Works will start on five additional projects as a result of new stimulus funds recently approved by the Lake County Board of County Commissioners.
“We submitted these additional projects in March of this year to the federal government because they were shovel-ready,” said Lori Conway, Director of the Funding & Production Division of the Department of Public Works. “We weren’t sure if we would receive funding, but we thought it was worth the effort to try.”
The five projects that are expected to be sent out for bid in the next month with construction slated to begin by the end of the year. The amounts shown with each project represents the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funding portion only and may not represent the total estimated cost of each project.
- $2.48 million for resurfacing County Road 48 from Sumter County line to County Road 33
- $2.4 million for constructing Lakeshore Drive Bridge from a two-lane, five-span bridge, to a new two-lane, single-span bridge from Osprey Pointe Boulevard to South Clermont Connector
- $501,108 for resurfacing County Road 452 from .1 mile north of County 44 to 1.15 miles north of County Road 44
- $347,308 for resurfacing County Road 44 from .1 mile west of North Silver Lake Road to Poe Street
- $121,708 for resurfacing Sleepy Hollow Road from Sunnyside Drive to .33 mile south of U.S. Highway 441
To date the Lake County Department of Public Works has already finished work on the following stimulus-funded resurfacing projects:
- County Road 474 from State Road 33 to U.S. Highway 27
- County Road 42 from Holmes View Drive to West Fourth Street
- County Road 455 from State Road 19 to County Road 561
- Lake Griffin Road from Lemon Street to Grays Airport Road
- County Road 448 from Lake Industrial Boulevard to Grand Oak Lane
- Eagles Nest Road from U.S. Highway 27 to Ridge Road
- Goose Prairie Road to Emeralda Road to County Road 452
- County Road 466A (Miller Street) from Cutoff Road to U.S. Highway 27/441
- Lakeshore Drive from Preston Cove Road to King Fisher Drive
- County Road 19A from Dodson Cutoff to Azalea Drive
Other stimulus-funded projects that are currently under construction include replacing the Lois Drive Bridge west of Tammi Drive in Tavares and replacing the Picciola Road Bridge.
For up-to-date construction status on projects by the Lake County Department of Public Works, call (352) 483-9000.