TAVARES — The deadline of Sept. 30 is fast approaching for Lake County homeowners and small business owners to submit applications for the County’s energy efficiency retrofit pilot program.
As part of the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant program, Lake County is conducting a pilot program by selecting one home and one small commercial building to receive free energy efficiency retrofits (up to a $3,000 value) to show how small investments in energy efficiency reduce energy costs. To date, 36 homeowners and four small business owners have submitted applications.
The results of the pilot program will be publicized to create excitement in the community about energy savings associated with modest building upgrades and repairs, and to help encourage participation in the associated retrofit rebate program anticipated to begin next summer.
To be eligible to submit an entry, the following minimum qualifications apply:
- Structure is located in Lake County
- Structure is owner-occupied (residential entries)
- Structure is a single-family, site-built dwelling (residential entries)
- Structure is not a mobile or manufactured home
- Owner has one year of electric service history at structure
- Structure's Certificate of Occupancy received prior to January 1, 2000
- Structure is not on any historic registry or within a historic district
- No energy efficiency upgrades to the structure in the past 10 years
- For small business owner, monthly energy usage must be 50 kilowatts or less (less than 20,000 kilowatt hours per month)
- Candidate is not employed by the Lake County Board of County Commissioners or the
- U.S. Department of Energy and is not an immediate family member of these employees
1. Log onto www.lakecountyfl.gov, keyword: retrofit
2. Click on the provided link (http://hes.lbl.gov/consumer/) to complete an online audit. All pages of the audit must be completed. Save the session number on the upper left, as it is required for the entry form.
3. Complete the Retrofit Pilot Program Entry Form online at www.lakecountyfl.gov, keyword: retrofit
1. Complete the Retrofit Pilot Program Entry Form online at www.lakecountyfl.gov, keyword: retrofit
Lake County will select one homeowner and one small commercial building owner as the pilot program participants on Oct. 15, 2010. The County anticipates completing the retrofit pilot program by March 30, 2011. For more information, call (352) 343-9503.