TAVARES — The Lake and Orange county extension offices are partnering on Tuesday, Oct. 12, to host “Expanding your Plant Palette,” a series of seminars and tours from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Harry P. Leu Gardens, located at 1920 N. Forest Ave., Orlando.
The program includes seminars on plant materials, plant utilization, grower displays of plant materials and lunch. Check-in is at 8:30 a.m. and the program costs $55 per person, which includes lunch, materials and available Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association, Landscape Architecture, and International Society of Arboriculture continuing education units (CEUs).
For more information or to register by the Oct. 8 deadline, call Maggie Jarrell of the Lake County Extension Office at (352) 343-4101 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The tentative schedule of speakers for the program includes:
Morning session 9-11:30 a.m.
- Edible Landscape — Robert Bowden, Director of Harry P. Leu Gardens
- Green Roof Plants — Jennifer McDaniel, Director of Special Projects at UCF, Stormwater Management Academy
- Stormwater Management & Rain Gardens — Gail Hansen, Assistant Professor in Landscape Design at University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS)
- Trees: New and Underutilized Trees — Eric Schmidt, Botanical Records Specialist at Harry P. Leu Gardens
Box lunch from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Check out Grower Displays on Veranda
Afternoon session 12:30-2 p.m. (20-minute talks, rotate between)
- Trees — Eric Schmidt
- Vines — Sydney Park Brown
- Rain Gardens — Robert Bowden
Afternoon Camellia Room 2:30-3 p.m.
- Vertical Gardens — Sydney Park Brown, Associate Professor of Environmental Horticulture at UF/IFAS Gulf Coast Research & Education Center