TAVARES — More than 80 exhibitors displaying environmentally friendly products, services and information will be in attendance at the Third Annual Lake County Green Fair on Saturday, Nov. 13 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at Wooton Park, located along Lake Dora in downtown Tavares.
The fair will have free admission and will feature educational programs and informative displays that highlight best practices in environmental issues. Fairgoers are encouraged to attend the mini-workshops in a series entitled “Greening up with natives in your landscape” hosted by the Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area for Lake County (CISMA) and the Lake County Green Team.
The eight mini-workshops listed below are 25 minutes each, and will be held in the small pavilion.
- 10 a.m. - Florida Friendly Plants in Your Landscape - Jonathan Squires, “The Barefoot Gardener”
- 10:30 a.m. - Welcoming Wildlife into the Garden - Lavon Silvernell, Trout Lake Nature Center
- 11 a.m. - Landscaping for Color & Wildlife Along Your Shoreline – Sandi Hanlon-Breuer, Lake County Water Authority
- 11:30 a.m. - Attracting Butterflies to Your Garden - Terri Godts, Green Isle Nursery
- 1 p.m. - Beauty & Benefits of Wildflowers – Lisa Roberts, Florida Wildflower Foundation
- 1:30 p.m. - Attracting Zebra Swallowtail Butterflies with PawPaws – Terri Pietroburgo, Pietro PawPaws Nursery
- 2 p.m. - Welcoming Wildlife into the Garden – Lavon Silvernell, Trout Lake Nature Center
- 2:30 p.m. - Florida Friendly Plants in Your Landscape – Jonathan Squires, “The Barefoot Gardener”
In addition, the Green Fair will offer citizens an opportunity to properly and safely dispose of household hazardous waste, recyclables and old thermometers and thermostats containing mercury. A vendor will also be on hand to collect monofilament fishing line for recycling, and is accepting old fishing rods and reels that will be refurbished and donated to needy children.
Sponsors of the Lake County Green Fair are Covanta Lake, Progress Energy, Lake County Department of Health, Lake Jem Farms, Green Directories USA, Waste Management, Florida Planning and Zoning Association, CDM, First Green Bank, Lake Soil & Water Conservation District, LPG Urban & Regional Planners, O’Keefe’s Restaurant, SECO, City of Tavares, Tavares Chamber of Commerce and Lake County Board of County Commissioners.
For more information about the Lake County Green Fair, call (352) 343-9647 or log on to www.lakecountyfl.gov/green_team.