TAVARES — The Lake County Board of County Commissioners is currently seeking public comment on a series of proposed county commission district maps in preparation for a public hearing at its scheduled meeting on Tuesday, Aug. 30. Local county governments are required by the Florida Constitution to review the district map after each decennial census.
The districts, according to legal requirements, must be divided as evenly as possible based on the latest population numbers. Although the districts are not required to have exactly the same population, it is recommended that they strive for less than 5 percent deviation, and do not exceed 10 percent.
The proposed maps will be on display at multiple locations throughout the County, as well as on the county’s website. The public is asked to review the maps, and give feedback to commissioners using the online comment form at www.lakecountyfl.gov/redistricting by 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 26.
The maps are currently on display at the Lake County Administration Building, located at 315 W. Main St., Tavares, and will be on display starting Tuesday, Aug. 16 at the following locations:
- Astor County Library, 54905 Alco Road, Astor
- Cagan Crossings Community Library, 16729 Cagan Oaks, Clermont
- City of Tavares Public Library, 314 N. New Hampshire Ave., Tavares
- Cooper Memorial Library, 2525 Oakley Seaver Drive, Clermont
- East Lake County Library, 31340 County Road 437, Sorrento
- Eustis Memorial Library, 120 N. Center St., Eustis
- Helen Lehmann Memorial Library, 17435 Fifth St., Montverde
- Lady Lake Public Library, 225 W. Guava St., Lady Lake
- Leesburg Public Library, 100 E. Main St., Leesburg
- Marianne Beck Memorial Library, 112 W. Central Ave., Howey-in-the-Hills
- Marion Baysinger Memorial County Library, 756 W. Broad St., Groveland
- Minneola Schoolhouse Library, 100 S. Main St., Minneola
- Paisley County Library, 24954 County Road 42, Paisley
- Umatilla Public Library, 412 Hatfield Drive, Umatilla
- W.T. Bland Public Library, 1995 N. Donnelly St., Mount Dora
- Fruitland Park Library, located at 205 W. Berckman St.
To view the proposed district maps online, or to submit comments to the Lake County Board of County Commissioners, visit www.lakecountyfl.gov/redistricting. For questions regarding the district maps, contact the Board Office at (352) 343-9850.