TAVARES — The Lake Soil & Water Conservation District congratulates the winners of the annual poster and speech contests, which included many students from Lake County Schools.
The speech contest winners are:
- First place: Alex Sainz, 7th grader from Lake Montessori and Learning Institute
- Second place: Skylar Baumann, 10th grader from Eustis High School
- Third place: Bailey Stephens, 6th grader from Spring Creek Charter
The poster contest winners are:
- First place:
- (grades K-1) Isabella Weaver, Kindergartner from Christian Home and Bible School
- (2-3) Morgan Pitcher, 3rd grader from Cypress Ridge Elementary School
- (4-6) Brianna Altken, 5th grader from Christian Home and Bible School
- (7-9) Moises Villanueva, 8th grader from Gray Middle School
- (10-12) Adolfo Gomez, 11th grader from South Lake High School
- Second place:
- (grades K-1) Mason Landon, 1st grader from Villages Elementary School
- (2-3) Brynn Halpern, 3rd grader at Cypress Ridge Elementary School
- (4-6) Bayleigh Miller-Ulrich, 5th grader at Sawgrass Bay Elementary School
- (7-9) Jordan Kleinschmidt, 7th grader at Gray Middle School
- (10-12) Kaitlyn Haines, 12th grader at South Lake High School
- Third place:
- (grades 4-6) Derek Samayoa, 5th grader from Christian Home and Bible School
- (7-9) Evan Thompson, 8th grader at Gray Middle School
- (10-12) Melie Delahaye, 12th grader at South Lake High School
Eight contestants gave speeches based on the theme, “Where does your water shed?,” that were judged on content, composition, delivery and time. By winning at the local level, Sainz is eligible to compete at the Area 3 Association of Florida Conservation Districts’ contest in May 2013.
The poster contest received more than 190 entries and focused on the same theme.
The Lake Soil & Water Conservation District sponsors the annual speech and poster contests, which is designed to develop leadership and stimulate interest in conserving natural resources.
For more information about the Lake Soil & Water Conservation District, contact Patty Fletcher at 352-253-1646, email email@example.com or to view the winning poster designs, log on to www.lakecountyfl.gov/lswcd.