TAVARES — Anyone who has a Lake County Library System library card may travel free on LakeXpress from Feb. 15 until March 15. Many local libraries will be promoting the BookFest and Viva Florida 500 with historical exhibits to celebrate the State of Florida’s Viva Florida 500 initiative.
The Friends of the Leesburg Library, in partnership with the Leesburg Heritage Museum, have created a display commemorating one of Leesburg’s early festivals, the Watermelon Festival. This display will have photographs and articles depicting Leesburg as the Watermelon Capital of the World, so named in 1926 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Other events as part of Bookfest include:
• Umatilla will celebrate the history of the railroad and the local citrus industry.
• Fruitland Park will celebrate their historic trail.
• Mount Dora will commemorate its 108-year-old W.T. Bland Public Library.
• The Cooper Memorial Library will feature items, memorabilia and photographs chronicling the history of the library and the city of Clermont.
• The Astor County Library will display a trifold display of photographs and documents about Astor History with three continuous photo shows: the Astor Historical Project, Hendrickson Family in the 1920s and Lake County history.
The complete list of events for BookFest is available on www.mylakelibrary.org.
A free library card is available to anyone who lives, works, pays taxes or goes to school in Lake County and to reciprocal borrowers in Marion, Osceola, Seminole and Volusia counties. To apply for a library card, visit one of the 15 libraries or at www.mylakelibrary.org.