TAVARES — For residents concerned with potential flooding due to Tropical Storm Erika, sand is available at the following four Lake County Fire stations:
Fire Station 10
23023 State Road 40
Fire Station 14
42700 State Road 19
Fire Station 53
2505 Spring Lake Road
Fire Station 110
6234 County Road 561
Residents must bring their own shovels and bags, and are allowed to take 10 bags of sand per household. Hours for pickup are 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. until further notice.
Follow these safety tips to avoid flooding dangers:
• Monitor your NOAA Weather Radio for vital weather-related information.
• Avoid roads already flooded and never drive through flooded roadways.
• Get to higher ground as soon as possible.
• Be especially cautious when driving at night when it’s harder to recognize flood dangers.
• If heavy rain is forecast or occurring, move vehicles away from waterways.
• “Turn Around Don’t Drown.”
For details about planning for an emergency, contact Lake County Emergency Management at 352-343-9420 or visit www.lakecountyfl.gov/emergency. For updates during an emergency, follow Emergency Management at www.facebook.com/LakeCountyFLEmergencyManagement and www.twitter.com/lakeemergency.