TAVARES — The public is invited to a guided bus tour of Lake County’s farms and agricultural attractions during the 8th Annual Lake County Farm Tour, hosted by the University of Florida’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (UF/IFAS) Extension in Lake County and sponsored by the Farm Bureau of Lake County.
The popular event will be held from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 17. Participants will embark from the Lake County Extension Center, located at 1951 Woodlea Road in Tavares. The Farm Tour costs $35 and registration is required at www.2017lakecountyfarmtour.eventbrite.com.
Tour-goers will visit Lake County agricultural businesses and learn about organic and hydroponic vegetables, microgreens, citrus processing and moonshine made from locally grown blueberries. Each stop will offer time for tasting and purchasing of products.
Stops on this year’s Farm Tour include:
- Cutrale is a family business which began in the 1960s and is now a worldwide supplier of high-quality orange juice and its products. Details: www.cutrale.com
- Organica World has a farm store direct to the public featuring freshly grown vegetables and herbs, and offers agritourism tours and seminars in hydroponics and food preparation. Details: www.organicaworld.com
- Bountiful Farms is a small, family-owned and operated produce farm growing all natural, chemical-free heirloom vegetables and fruits. Details: www.bountifulfarmsinc.com
- Yalaha Bootlegging Co. is Central Florida’s Premier Craft Distillery specializing in moonshine and brandy made from organic blueberries grown on site. Details: www.yalahabootleggingco.com
- Lunch is of your choice in Downtown Leesburg.
Closed toe shoes and long pants are required for safety purposes. For more information, call 352-343-4101.
The mission of the UF/IFAS Extension in Lake County is to develop knowledge in agricultural, human and natural resources and to make that knowledge accessible to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The Extension service provides free consultations, as well as educational programs on a variety of subjects.