GROVELAND — To celebrate National Tourism Week, the Lake County Department of Tourism and Business Relations will host Lake County Tourism Day on Friday, May 18, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Lake County Welcome Center, located at 20763 U.S. Highway 27, Groveland.
Lake County residents and visitors are encouraged to attend this event, as it will include presentations by local tourism businesses, free handouts, refreshments and information about Lake County's tourism industry. Tourism Day includes participation from the following businesses from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on May 18:
• Yalaha Country Bakery — Fresh-baked goods for purchase
• Hitch ’N Time Carriages of Mount Dora — Free carriage rides and information
• Uncle Donald's Farm of Lady Lake — Animals will be available to pet and observe
• BB Brown’s Gardens of Clermont — Presentation on the Florida Scrub Jay
• Lake County Canoe & Kayak — Kayaking and paddling safety presentation and display
• Segway of Central Florida — Presentation of the new Segway and All-Terrain Segway
• Lake County Water Authority — Water safety and water usage presentation
“In recognition of tourism’s tremendous impact in the County, we're planning a special event on May 18,” said Greg Mihalic, Director of the Lake County Department of Tourism and Business Relations. “We hope this celebration exposes visitors and residents to Lake County's tourism assets, as well as available tourism information at our Welcome Center.”
Tourism plays a key role in Florida’s economy, culture and society. According to Visit Florida, 83 million travelers visited Florida spending $62 billion in 2005. From the $62 billion spent, $3.7 billion was generated in revenues to Florida from sales taxes spent on vacations. This growing industry employs nearly one million Floridians creating a combined annual payroll of $15.4 billion.
For more information about Lake County Tourism Day, call Debi Dyer, Tourism Specialist for the Lake County Department of Tourism and Business Relations, at (352) 429-3673 or log on to www.lakecountyfl.com.