TAVARES — The Lake County Extension Office's next educational program in its "Timely Topics" series is "Lighten up Your Holidays" on Wednesday, Dec. 5, from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Lake County Agricultural Center, located at 1951 Woodlea Road in Tavares.
"Holiday eating doesn't have to be boring," said Julie England, a Family and Consumer Sciences Extension Agent with the Lake County Extension Office. "By learning how to make small changes in food preparation techniques, you can reduce calories without sacrificing flavor."
The "Lighten up Your Holidays" program will be presented a second time on Tuesday, Dec. 11, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Lake County Agricultural Center. Preregistration is required for the Dec. 11 program. For more information or to register for either program, call Rene Bass at (352) 343-4101 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each month, the Timely Topics series provides information on a variety of subjects including clutter control, transferring non-titled property and food safety. The Lake County Extension Office sponsors all programs, which is a partnership between the University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences and the Lake County Board of County Commissioners. Trained professionals and volunteers offer research-based education in agriculture, family and consumer sciences, and 4-H youth development.
All programs of the Timely Topics series are scheduled from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Upcoming programs include:
• Jan. 8 — De-clutter Your Life: Start the new year by organizing your home and records.
• Feb. 6 — Mold and Mildew: The Fungus Among Us: Prevent and control mold and mildew.
• March 5 — Who Gets Grandma's Yellow Pie Plate: Avoid conflict when transferring non-titled property.
• April 8 — Closing Your Florida Home: Tips for closing your seasonal home.
• May 7 — Food Safety and You: Reduce your risk of food-borne illnesses at home and away.