GROVELAND — To celebrate National Tourism Week, the Lake County Department of Tourism & Business Relations will host Lake County Tourism Day on Friday, May 16, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Lake County Welcome Center, located at 20763 U.S. Highway 27, Groveland.
Lake County residents and visitors are encouraged to attend this event, as it will include presentations by local tourism businesses, free handouts, refreshments and information about Lake County's tourism industry. Tourism Day includes participation from the following businesses:
• Yalaha Country Bakery — Fresh-baked goods to sample
• Hitch ’N Time Carriages of Mount Dora — Free carriage rides and information
• Land of Green Ginger Alpacas of Eustis — Alpacas will be available to pet and observe
• BB Brown’s Gardens of Clermont — Presentation on the Florida Scrub-Jay
• Central Florida Nature Adventures of Eustis — Kayaking presentation and display
• Segway of Central Florida of Mount Dora — Ride a Segway or all-terrain Segway
• American Strongman Corp. — Available for autographs and presentation
• Rohr Balloons of Mount Dora — Hot-air balloon display along with handouts
“In recognition of tourism’s tremendous impact in the County, we're planning a special event on May 16,” said Greg Mihalic, Director of the Lake County Department of Tourism & Business Relations. “We hope this celebration exposes visitors and residents to Lake County's tourism assets, as well as available tourism information at the Lake County Welcome Center.”
Tourism plays a key role in Florida’s economy, culture and society. According to Visit Florida, 83.9 million travelers visited Florida spending $65 billion in 2006. From the $65 billion spent, $3.7 billion was generated in revenues to Florida from sales taxes spent on vacations. Florida residents throughout the state enjoy economic, social and cultural benefits as a result of this vital industry that generates 18 percent of the state’s annual sales tax revenues.
For more information about Lake County Tourism Day, call Debi Dyer, Tourism Specialist for the Lake County Department of Tourism & Business Relations, at (352) 429-3673 or log on to www.lakecountyfl.com.