TAVARES — The Lake County Department of Growth Management will present a Low-Impact Development Workshop on Wednesday, April 12, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Magnolia Room of Lake-Sumter Community College, 1905 U.S. Highway 441, Leesburg.
Representatives from the University of Florida Program for Resource Efficient Communities (PERC) will lead the workshop with discussions about preserving open space, resource efficient landscapes and stormwater in residential developments. The agenda for the workshop includes:
• Introduction by Lake County Chairman Catherine C. Hanson
• Overview of the workshop by Dr. Pierce Jones, PERC Director
• Preserving open space by Dr. Mark Hostetler, Associate Professor of the University of Florida Wildlife Ecology and Conservation Department
• Topography issues by Dr. Jay Exum, Director of Environmental Services for Orlando planning firm Glatting Jackson Kercher Anglin Lopez Rinehart
• Stormwater in residential developments by Dr. Mark Clark, Assistant Professor for the University of Florida Soil and Water Science Department
• Resource efficient landscapes by Holly Shiralipour, Statewide Coordinator for the University of Florida Environmental Horticulture Department, and Dr. Michael Dukes, Assistant Professor for the University of Florida Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department
• Closing remarks by Carol Stricklin, Director of the Lake County Department of Growth Management
The University of Florida program promotes the adoption of best design, construction and management practices in new residential community developments that measurably reduce energy and water consumption and environmental degradation. The focus of the program extends from lot level through site development to surrounding lands and ecological systems.
The workshop is open to the public. Those receiving invitations from the Lake County Department of Growth Management to the workshop include local developers, builders, engineers and government staff of area municipalities and Central Florida counties that are involved with development review and regulation. For more information about the Low-Impact Development Workshop, call (352) 343-9642 or log on to www.lakegovernment.com. For more information about PERC, call Dr. Pierce Jones, Program Director, at (352) 392-8074 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Or contact Hal Knowles, Program Coordinator, at (352) 392-7126 or e-mail email@example.com.