TAVARES — The Lake County Department of Growth Management, Building Services Division, went live Tuesday with a new online payment feature for building permits.
The County Web site at www.lakecountyfl.gov allows users to access, apply and search for permits online. Previously, to finish the permitting process, an applicant needed to visit the Lake County Administration Building to make a payment. An applicant can now log back into the e-permitting system and make a payment with a MasterCard or Visa.
"Our new, online payment feature is one more way we're putting technology to work for residents and for everyone who does business in Lake County," said Dale Greiner, Director of the Lake County Building Services Division. "In addition to the online payment feature, the e-permitting service helps applicants monitor the permit process virtually, which should help make their projects more efficient."
After submitting a building permit application online, the process takes less than one business day before it is reviewed. The permit types available for online application and payment are:
• Electrical — New service, upgrade or repair (residential only)
• Plumbing — Replacement water heater, solar panels or repair
• Mechanical — Air-conditioning change-out or furnace replacement
• Low voltage — Low-voltage wiring
• Reroof — Reroofing of any structure (product approval codes required)
• Vinyl siding — Vinyl siding to any structure (product approval codes required)
• Irrigation — New irrigation or addition (residential only)
The payment feature is hosted through a secured and encrypted site. A one percent fee is charged for credit-card payments. Designing, implementing and testing the online payment feature was a team effort between the Lake County offices of Information Outreach and Information Technology, and the Building Services Division.