TAVARES — The following is an afternoon update from the Lake County Emergency Operations Center (new information in bold):
• Sandbags are available for residents at three County fire stations. Residents need to bring their own shovels. Sandbags are limited to 20 per household.
o Station 14, located at 42700 State Road 19 in Altoona
o Station 53, located at 2505 Spring Lake Road in Fruitland Park
o Station 109, located at 11630 Lakeshore Drive in Clermont
• Lake County’s public transportation services – LakeXpress and Lake County Connection – will not be in service on Tuesday, Aug. 19.
• The Citizens Information Line (352-253-9999) is available to answer questions about Tropical Storm Fay.
• Three Lake County shelters will open at 9 a.m. on Tuesday:
o Leesburg Elementary, 2229 South St., Leesburg — special needs and pet friendly
o Lost Lake Elementary, 1901 Johns Lake Road, Clermont — special needs and pet friendly
o Umatilla Elementary, 401 Lake St., Umatilla — special needs and pet friendly
• The Lake County Emergency Operations Center will activate Tuesday morning to finalize preparations.
• Residents should take precautions to ensure the safety of their family and property, including checking their disaster supply kit, which should consist of:
o One gallon of water per person for five days
o Enough non-perishable food for five days
o A non-electric can opener; cooking tools and fuel; paper plates; and plastic utensils
o Blankets, pillows and sleeping bags
o First-aid kit and two-week supply of prescribed medications
o Toiletries, garbage bags and re-sealable plastic bags
o Extra clothing and rain gear
o Battery-operated NOAA weather radio, AM/FM radio and flashlight
o Infant and senior citizen necessities
o Disposable camera to record damage to property
o Important papers such as insurance, bank account and Social Security cards
o List of important phone numbers including the family’s local pharmacy, doctors and designated contacts the family can call in case of an emergency
For more storm information, log on to www.lakecountyfl.gov, keyword: disaster or call the Citizens Information Line at (352) 253-9999.