TAVARES — The following is an afternoon update from the Lake County Emergency Operations Center (new information in bold):
• Lake County schools are scheduled to close on Wednesday, Aug. 20.
• Lake County’s public transportation system, LakeXpress, reopened this morning. Lake County’s paratransit service, Lake County Connection, will remain closed today, but will reopen Wednesday.
• Three Lake County shelters opened this morning. As of 1 p.m., the total shelter population in Lake County was 18 individuals and 7 pets. As of 12:30 p.m. today, the special needs shelters at Lost Lake and Umatilla closed. The general population and pet friendly shelters at these two locations remain opened.
o Leesburg Elementary, 2229 South St., Leesburg — special needs and pet friendly
o Lost Lake Elementary, 1901 Johns Lake Road, Clermont —pet friendly
o Umatilla Elementary, 401 Lake St., Umatilla — pet friendly
• The Citizens Information Line (352-253-9999) is available to answer questions about Tropical Storm Fay. The hotline answered about 370 calls on Monday.
• The Lake County Emergency Operations Center activated at level II, partial activation, at 7 a.m.
• All Lake County Health Department clinics will be open Wednesday, Aug. 20.
• All Early Voting locations will be open Wednesday, Aug. 20.
• Sandbags are available for residents at three County fire stations. Residents need to bring their own shovels. Sandbags are limited to 20 per household.
o Station 14, located at 42700 State Road 19 in Altoona
o Station 53, located at 2505 Spring Lake Road in Fruitland Park
o Station 109, located at 11630 Lakeshore Drive in Clermont
For more storm information, log on to www.lakecountyfl.gov, keyword: disaster or call the Citizens Information Line at (352) 253-9999.