PAISLEY — The Lake Soil and Water Conservation District hosted this month an annual land-judging competition for students in Future Farmers of America.
FIRST PLACE TEAM
The students judged soil from four pits at Ellis Acres, a Lake County public lands property in the unincorporated community of Paisley. Richard Ford, Soil Scientist with USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, selected the pits. Individual scorecards were marked for evaluation of characteristics, planned use and limitations.
The winning teams were:
• First place — East Ridge High School Blue Team
• Second place — East Ridge High School Silver Team
• Third place — Clermont Middle School A Team
Individual high scores were:
• First place — Nicole Lewis, East Ridge High School Silver Team
• Second place — Casey Raines, East Ridge High School Blue Team
• Third place — Jennifer Hurley, East Ridge High School Gold Team
East Ridge High School Blue Team and Clermont Middle School Team A will represent Lake County at the state competition in Alachua County on Friday, March 27.
For more information about the Lake Soil and Water Conservation District, call (352) 343-2481 ext. 6 or e-mail email@example.com.