TAVARES — Lake County has been awarded $97,427 in federal funds under the Emergency Food and Shelter Program to supplement programs in the County.
Public or private voluntary organizations interested in applying for Emergency Food and Shelter Program funds must contact the Lake County Department of Community Services for an application. Requests for an application or questions may be directed to Brenda Quattlebaum, Elder Affairs Manager for the Department of Community Services, at (352) 742-6525. The deadline for the application is Tuesday, April 7, at 5 p.m.
Under the terms of the grant, local organizations chosen to receive funds must:
• Be private voluntary nonprofits or units of government
• Be eligible to receive federal funds
• Have an accounting system
• Practice nondiscrimination
• Have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs
• If they are a private voluntary organization, they must have a voluntary board
In previous years, Lake County has distributed Emergency Food and Shelter Program funds to pay for meals and housing at shelters, and emergency rent and utility assistance. Qualifying agencies are urged to apply.