GROVELAND — To celebrate National Tourism Week from May 13-20, the Lake County Department of Tourism and Business Relations will host Lake County Tourism Day on Friday, May 19, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Lake County Welcome Center, 20763 U.S. Highway 27, Groveland.
Lake County residents and visitors are encouraged to attend this all-day event as it will include presentations by local tourism businesses, free handouts, refreshments and information about the Lake County tourism industry. The schedule for Lake County Tourism Day is as follows:
- Yalaha Country Bakery — Free samples and fresh-baked goods for purchase throughout the morning.
- Hitch ’N Time Carriages of Mount Dora — From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., free carriage rides and information.
- Uncle Donald's Farm of Lady Lake — From 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., animals will be available to pet and observe. Information on rehabilitation of injured animals will also be presented.
- BB Brown’s Gardens of Clermont —From 1 to 3 p.m., presentation on the Florida Scrub Jay.
- InuTrax Outdoor Adventures of Mount Dora — From 2 to 3 p.m., presentation and display about kayaking and paddling safety.
“In recognition of tourism’s tremendous economic, social and cultural impact in Lake County, the Lake County Welcome Center plans to observe National Tourism Week to celebrate the fact that ‘We’re all in Florida’s tourism industry,’” said Greg Mihalic, Director of the Lake County Department of Tourism and Business Relations. “We feel this special event on May 19 will expose visitors and residents to the tourism assets of Lake County.”
According to Visit Florida, the state’s official tourism marketing organization, whether it is residents, school children, retirees or non-tourism related business people, every Florida resident benefits from tourism. Last year, about 79.7 million visitors enjoyed the natural assets of the Sunshine State, which generated more than $57 billion for Florida’s economy.
For more information about Lake County Tourism Day, call Debi Dyer, Tourism Specialist for the Lake County Department of Tourism and Business Relations, at (352) 429-3673 or log on to www.lakecountyfl.com.