UMATILLA — The Lake County Department of Community Services, in cooperation with the Florida Department of Children & Families and United Way of Lake & Sumter Counties, is hosting a “Public Assistance Day” on Wednesday, June 10, from 2 to 6 p.m. at the Southside Umatilla Community Center, located at 17107 Ball Park Road.
“This is a collaborative effort to assist those who need services, but cannot figure out how to apply for the assistance,” said Brenda Quattlebaum, Manager of the Lake County Elder Affairs Program. “We are bringing the services to them. This is our first attempt at doing this, and we are hoping to reach those needing this most.”
A variety of program representatives will be available for one-on-one application assistance, including:
• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps)
• Workforce Central Florida (unemployment)
• Lake County Library System
• Lake County Sheriff’s Office (child fingerprinting)
• LakeXpress (bus transportation)
• SHINE (health insurance for elders)
• Lake County Health Worker Program (Florida KidCare affordable health insurance for children)
• Lake County Extension Office (money-saving tips)
• Lake County Elder Affairs Program (safety tips for elders)
• New Vision for Independence (vision case management services)
For more information, call the Lake County Department of Community Services at (352) 742-6525.