For immediate release - October 24, 2005
TAVARES — The entire staff of the Lake County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) reconvened early Monday morning to assist in Hurricane Wilma operations.
Points of interest discussed during a Monday morning staff briefing are:
- A large limb is blocking the northbound lane of County Road 46A. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office and the Department of Public Works are on the scene. The road blockage caused a three-vehicle accident.
- Spotty power outages were reported throughout the night in Lake County. Residents are encouraged to report power outages to their electricity provider. Power outage contact numbers are:
- Clay Electric (352) 473-2129
- City of Leesburg (352) 728-9830
- City of Mount Dora (352) 735-7141
- Progress Energy (800) 228-8485
- Sumter Electric Cooperative (352) 793-3801
- Early elections in the cities of Mount Dora and Minneola are on as scheduled. Early voting begins at 8:30 a.m. at W.T. Bland Public Library, 1995 N. Donnelly St., Mount Dora, and Minneola City Hall, 800 N. U.S. Highway 27.
- As of 7:30 a.m., 26 residents, five with special needs, were sheltering at Leesburg Elementary, 2229 South St. Residents that do not feel safe in their homes and have no other sheltering options can seek shelter in this County facility. Pets are accepted at the shelter. All pets must be crated and have documentation of up-to-date rabies vaccinations.
- All campuses of Lake County Schools, Lake-Sumter Community College, Lake Technical Center and Lake County Head Start are closed Monday. All Lake County Government offices and the Judicial Center are open.
- Sandbags are available Monday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Department of Public Works three maintenance facilities located at: 2310 W. Griffin Road, Leesburg; 609 Disston Ave., Minneola; and 19720 E. Fifth St., Umatilla.
- The Citizens Information Line at (352) 343-9732 is open Monday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Residents are advised to report flooding and road hazards to the Citizens Information Line.
Lake County Hurricane Guide
Office: (352) 343-9609; Cell: (352) 455-0445