Office of Building Service - Online Permitting Tutorial
Please be sure to read the tutorial prior to online submission.
Customer can create a user login or use the guest access (quick access of a single permit).
- Click on CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT.
- Complete the basic information being requested.
- If you are an owner, you will select OWNER for the account type.
- If you selected OWNER, the next screen will ask for your address.
- Type in the house number and the first couple letters of the street name then click LOOKUP, SAVE.
- If you are a contractor, you will select CONTRACTOR. Click NEXT.
- If you selected CONTRACTOR, the next screen will ask you for your license information. Click ADD.
Type in your company name or state license number, click LOOKUP, highlight your selection, then click SELECT.
You can add more than one company/license per user account.
The next screen directs you to check your email and copy the validation code.
- Paste the validation code in the box then click SAVE.
- Click CONTINUE and it will take you to the login page.
- Once your user login has been created, log into your user with your email address and your password you created.
Once you're logged in...
Once you get logged in, you'll see the following:
- NEW - Will create a new packet.
- EDIT - Will allow you to edit the packet name.
- DELETE - Will allow you to delete a PENDING packet.
- ATTACHMENTS - Will allow you to add attachments.
- DATA - Will allow you to modify your data entries that reflect on the application.
- REVIEW - Will show you the permit application created from the data entered.
- SUBCONTRACTORS - Will allow you to add subcontractors.
- COMMENTS - Will show you what the Building Department is lacking and/or what corrections are being requested.
- FEES - Will allow you to pay pending packet fees once entered by the Building Department.
- VIEW OPTIONS - Will allow you to modify your view settings on your home screen.
Creating a packet
- Click on NEW to create a packet.
Complete all selections of the packet detail page then click NEXT.
Packet name is how customer identifies/labels their project.
- Type in the address number and the first few letters of the street name or the alternate key number to search for your address.
- Click LOOK UP.
Highlight your address and click SELECT, then NEXT.
Every time you click NEXT, it will take you to the next tab. Go through each tab (you can click on the tab or click next) and fill in the remaining required data fields and hit NEXT. Any fields that have a red asterisk (*) next to them are required fields and must be completed. If a tab is red, it is missing required information. The last tab will always remain red even when completed.
- When you fill in the last required data field, click FINISH.
It will then take you to the home page.
If you skipped over a required data field, it will not allow you to submit the packet later down the line. Be sure your data is at 100% (same will apply to attachments).
- Once you have completed the data entries, click on the ATTACHMENTS button.
- The applicant must upload all of the required attachments listed and may upload optional documents if needed.
- You can check the box show required only to list required documents only.
- Highlight the document type you wish to upload, click UPLOAD, drag your document into the red window and release it once it turns green.
- Repeat for additional documents.
- Once you have completed your upload, click the BACK button.
- If subcontractors are required for the packet type you are applying for, click on the SUBCONTRACTORS button, click ADD.
- Search by contractor DBA (less is more), state license number, or cert number then click LOOKUP.
- Select CONTRACTOR
- Then select an inspection class
- Then click SELECT
- Then click SAVE
- Repeat to add additional subcontractors
- Then click the BACK button to return to the packet home screen.
- Make sure your attachments and data are at 100% then click the SUBMIT button.
- Next an application will appear based on the information entered.
- Review the application to make sure the information is correct
- Then click on CLICK HERE TO SIGN.
- Select if you are on sewer or septic then click OK.
- Type in your name, click OK.
- Click DONE.
- An information box will appear in reference to payment, click OK.
- It then takes you back to the home screen.
- The status of your packet changes from “pending” to “submit”.
- The Office of Building Services is then notified that a packet has been submitted.
- You will also receive an electronic notification that a packet has been submitted.
- Once Building Services has reviewed the packet, you will get an electronic notification stating that your packet requires changes.
- Once you log back into your user account, your packet will now have a pending status, which means something needs done on the customer end.
- If you click on the red COMMENTS button, it will show you what the Building Department was lacking (this was also sent via email).
- Click the BACK button to return to the home page.
- Click on ATTACHMENTS
- Find your rejected attachment (you can click on SHOW REJECTED ONLY in bottom right corner)
- Highlight it and click REPLACE
- Once you have replaced rejected attachments click the BACK button.
- Once you are on the packet home screen, you are now able to move forward and resubmit the packet to the Building Department.
- Click SUBMIT
- Click OK
- An information box will appear in reference to payment. Click OK.
- Your packet status will then change to submit.
- Once Building Services has reviewed the resubmitted packet, you will get an electronic notification stating that your packet requires attention or payment of the plan check fee.
- Once received, log back into your user account and determine if you need to replace rejected documents or pay the plan check fee.
Paying Pending Application Fees
- To pay the fees, click on the FEES button.
- Click ADD PENDING FEES TO CART
- Click OK
- Click VIEW/PAY CART
- Click PAY BY CREDIT CARD or DEBIT ACCOUNT if you have a Lake County Debit account.
Paying with a Credit Card
Complete the payment information then click PAY.
Paying with a Debit Account
- Complete the payor name and acct password.
- Click VERIFY ACCOUNT
- Click CONTINUE
- Once payment has been confirmed, you can click DOWNLOAD RECEIPT to retain a copy for your records.
- Click BACK button to return to packet home screen.
- Click SUBMIT
- Click OK
- Click OK again
Once you have paid your plan check fees, Building Services will receive a notification to process your packet and a permit number will be established. You will receive an electronic notification of your permit number and it will then appear in your PERMIT LIST
Your Permit Requires Attention
Once Building Services has reviewed your permit, you will get an electronic notification stating that your permit requires attention (resubmit corrected information or your permit is ready for issuance).
- Log back into your user account and click on the PERMIT LIST tab.
- Double click on the permit you are wanting to access.
Your Permit is Deficient & Needing Correction
- Click on SUBMIT REVISION/CORRECTION.
- Click on UPLOAD REVISIONS/CORRECTIONS.
- Click the attachment type dropdown arrow and select what type of document you are wanting to upload.
- Drag your document into the red window and release it once it turns green.
- Repeat for additional documents.
- Once you have completed your upload, click the SUBMIT button.
- A box will pop up for you to complete.
- List what documents you are submitting then click OK.
- If this is a revision, list what is being revised and what documents you are submitting.
- Type in your name (digital signature) then click OK.
- Click SUBMIT.
- An informational box will appear stating no changes or uploads can be made after submission, click OK.
- Click OK again.
- You can then click the back button in the bottom corner to return to the permit details page.
Once Building Services has reviewed your permit, you will get an electronic notification stating that your permit is ready for issuance.
Pay for Your Permit & Obtain Your Approved Documents for Jobsite/Inspections
- Log back into your user account
- Click on the PERMIT LIST tab
- Double click on the permit you are wanting to access
- Click on FEES
- Click SELECT AND PAY PENDING FEES
- Click SELECT ALL at the top of the screen
- Click UPDATE SHOPPING CART
- Click OK
- Click on the SHOPPING CART in the top right hand corner
- Select your payment option (CREDIT CARD OR DEBIT ACCOUNT)
- Make your payment (see payment instructions)
- Once the payment has been made you will see a payment confirmation screen
- You can click on DOWNLOAD RECEIPT, PERMIT, and JOB CARD for your records
- Click the BACK button until you get to your permit details page.
- Click ATTACHMENTS
- Make sure your attachments are in the "approved status" then click DOWNLOAD
- Click SELECT ALL
- Click BEGIN DOWNLOAD
- Click OK to the pop-up box.
- A folder will appear at the bottom left hand corner of your screen
- Click the folder and save the approved documents to your computer
- Place your approved paperwork on the jobsite
If you need to upload just a notice of commencement, you can do so by clicking on UPLOAD NOTICE OF COMMENCEMENT. Do not upload a sole notice of commencement under SUBMIT REVISION/CORRECTION because it will make you complete a letter of transmittal.