The implementation date for the new Florida Product Approval System is October 1, 2003. Rule 9B-72 of the Florida Building Commission establishes a higher standard of practice for product evaluations, as well as uniformity and consistency of enforcement statewide.
The Rule covers the following eight categories of products: (Items in parentheses are examples of sub-categories of products specific functionality, but are not limited to these examples)
- Exterior Doors (rollup, sectional, sliding, swinging, automatic or other)
- Windows (awning, casement, dual action, double hung, single hung, fixed, horizontal slider, projected, pass through, mullions, wind breaker or other)
- Panel Walls (siding, soffits, exterior insulation finish system (EIFS), storefronts, curtain walls, wall louver, glass block, membrane, greenhouse, or other)
- Roofing Products (built up roofing, modified bitumen roof system, single ply roof systems, spray applied polyurethane roof system, roofing fasteners, roofing insulation, asphalt shingles, wood shingles and shakes, roofing slate, roof tile adhesives, cement-adhesives-coatings, liquid applied roof systems, underlayments, non-structural metal roofing, roofing tiles, waterproofing or other)
- Shutters (accordion, bahama, storm panels, colonial, roll-up, equipments or other)
- Skylights (skylight or other)
- Structural Components (truss plates, wood connectors, anchors, coolers-freezers, sheds, concrete admixtures, insulation forms, engineered lumber, material, plastics, wall, deck-roof, railing or other)
- Products Comprising a Building's Envelope Introduced as a Result of New Technology(as applicable)
The new product approval system includes a statewide website for submittal of applications and payment of fees for statewide product approvals. In addition, a database is available to search a list of approved entities and products approved for statewide use. For more information on statewide product approval and the Florida Building Code, visit www.floridabuilding.org or call the Florida Department of Community Affairs at 850-487-1824 or 877-FLA-DCA-2 and ask to speak to someone in the Codes and Standards Section.
Requests for local product approval shall be done based on the requirements in Rule 9B-72 and the state form which are linked on the menu to the left.