Posting Number: 18-10-15-2096
Pay Grade: 178
Salary: $11.53/hour - $16.77
Closing Date: November 23, 2018
The Paramedic serves as the lead-worker of a two-person emergency medical service team. The position is responsible for responding to dispatched emergencies and transport requests and ensures that proper BLS and ALS pre-hospital care is provided. Manages the operation of an emergency vehicle and safeguards Lake County Emergency Medical Services equipment and supplies. Maintains the security of drugs and narcotics. Prepares various written reports on actions taken.
This position may be required to assist with emergency support functions in the event of a declared emergency and/or any other emergency duties as assigned.
The position requires good physical stamina, endurance, and body condition that would not be adversely affected by frequently having to walk, stand, lift, carry, and balance at times, in excess of 150 pounds. Motor coordination is required to safely walk and carry equipment and patients over uneven terrain. Employee must be able to maneuver in tight places, step over obstacles, step on and off machinery, etc. Work includes operation of a motor vehicle.
Vocational/technical training or related field or any equivalent education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential job functions.
• Certification as a Paramedic in the State of Florida
• Minimum of one year of experience as an EMT Basic or Paramedic
• ACLS Certificate
• CPR for Healthcare Providers
• 16 Hour EVOC certificate or equivalent
• Florida Class “E” Driver’s license
• Maintains required certifications
• Maintains good driving record as required by insurance provider
• Maintains approval to practice under the license of the Medical Director
• No felony convictions related to illegal use of drugs or directly related to position. No felony or first-degree misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude or sexual misconduct.
• Is not listed under the excluded provider list prepared by Medicare OIG.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Knowledge of the principles of ALS and BLS care.
• Knowledge of Lake County Emergency Medical Services medical protocols and practices.
• Knowledge of Patient assessment including topographic anatomy, diagnostic signs, vital signs and patient surveys to include subjective and objective findings.
• Ability to select and properly apply required steps in protocols. Skill in safely moving and immobilizing patients and in applying bandages, splints, etc.
• Skill in performing CPR.
• Knowledge of proper operation of heart monitor and defibrillation equipment.
• Ability to properly set-up and use equipment, including settings for defibrillation or cardio version. Ability to interpret cardiac rhythm strips.
• Ability to operate a personal computer and similar devices.
• Knowledge of pharmaceuticals which would include the proper and generic names of drugs; the proper dose (ages); routes of administration; contraindications for the usage of same; actions of the drug; any possible allergic reaction of the drug and appropriate medical reversal treatment.
• Ability to administer drugs using a variety of methods, including intravenously. Skill in properly administering injections and inserting IV catheters. Ability to calculate measure and administer proper dosages. Skill in administering oxygen therapy.
• Knowledge of rules for effective written and spoken English communications. Ability to prepare verbal and written reports.
• Knowledge of physiology of respiration; ability to provide proper airway management; skill in establishing and maintaining a variety of airways including performing endotracheal intubations.
• Knowledge of emergency vehicle operations and including operation of on-board equipment, communication operations and economy of communication usage.
Printable Job Application
While we highly recommend that potential applicants use our online Job Application Builder, we also have a printable version of our job application available for download.
You can print this application out, fill it in and then return it by faxing or mailing to the Office of Human Resources & Risk Management. To download our printable job application please go here.
« Back to Employment Opportunities