Characteristics of a Future Leader
Posted: April 01, 2005
- Perception and insight - Gives an individual the ability to see the realities of the world and into themselves.
- Motivation - Necessary to enable them to go through the pain of learning and change,in a world where loyalties become more difficult to define.
- Emotional strength - Needed to manager their own and other’s anxiety as learning and change becomes more and more a way of life.
- Skill of analysis - Ability to analyze assumptions, and build on their strengths and functional elements.
- Ability to involve others - Willingness and ability to elicit others’ participation.
- Willingness to share power - Ability to permit and encourage leadership to flourish throughout the organization.
« Back to Archive
Schein, E. H. (1996). Leadership and Organizational Culture. In Hesselbein, F., Goldsmith M., & Beckhard, R (Eds.), The Leader of the Future (pp. 59-69). New York, NY: The Peter F. Drucker Foundation for Nonprofit Management.